I volunteer at my PMI (Project Management Institute) local chapter called Great Lakes Chapter (www.pmiglc.org). I enjoy the benefits of PMI membership in form of monthly magazine called PM Network and accompanied paper called PMI Today. Both are informative and I have gained a lot by reading both publications.
Many people join organizations enthusiastically and then with very little involvement and different priorities, fail to renew annual membership and later claim that they did find not much benefit of membership. Becoming member in your professional organization and participating actively gives you opportunity to network with best people in your trade and increase your domain knowledge.
I found couple of interesting benefits while reading PMI Today paper and thought of sharing it with you. Here are the benefits-
- Attend PMI meetings/events at discounted price;
- Networking opportunities with professionals in management;
- Read PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge);
- Read business books on-line;
- Download a global standard;
- View the results of PM research projects;
- See articles from PMI publications for the last 7 years;
- Search for jobs, consult with a career coach and have your resume critiqued;
- Request a custom research;
- Order books and other materials at a discounted price;
- Use a career framework to help guide your career; and
- Get PM Network and PMI Today publications.
I would suggest that if you are in project management, get involved with www.PMI.org, join your local chapter and participate in making project management indispensable for business results.
Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!