My mother suffered minor stroke(s) last week and she is in hospital recovering as right side is affected by it. Reason for my this post is to make readers aware of the signs of stroke so that if someone else has these symptoms, quick help can be arranged.
In my case, I was not aware of any symptoms and thought she is expeiencing numbness due to high blood pressure. We went to see one doctor in walk-in clinic and he suggested that she needs some more rest and continue with blood pressure medicine. Later that day we took her to emergency in hospital when she had problem walking as well. After talking to Triage nurse, I realized that she might be having stroke. Here are symptoms of stroke, If you notice one or more of these signs, do not wait. Stroke is a medical emergency.
Classic Stroke Symptoms (as per MayoClinic.com May’07 report):
- Sudden numbness, weakness, or paralysis of your face, arm or leg — usually on one side of your body
- Sudden difficulty speaking or understanding speech (aphasia)
- Sudden blurred, double or decreased vision
- Sudden dizziness, loss of balance or loss of coordination
- A sudden, severe “bolt out of the blue” headache or an unusual headache, which may be accompanied by a stiff neck, facial pain, pain between your eyes, vomiting or altered consciousness
- Confusion, or problems with memory, spatial orientation or perception
Reference – http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stroke-symptoms/BN00055
Update (05-Jan) – My mother has been discharged from hospital, and recovering at home. Thanks all for good wishes.
Leave a Reply