Canadian are celebrating 140th birthday of Canada.
On July 1, 1897 British North American Act created the federal government and stated that Canada would become an independent dominion or territory of England. At this time Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec joined the confederation. Sir John McDonald was the first prime minister of Canada.
Canada name came from word ‘Kanata’, it is probably native indian word that means village. Canada is beautiful, peace loving, resource rich and multi-cultural country. It is the second largest country (after Russia) in terms of geographical area. Trans-Canada highway is world’s largest highway. Contrary to some people thinking that Canada is all ice or forest or just play hockey, Canada is rich in natural resources, one of the industrial nation of G8, Toronto and Vancouver are the maojr cities and people of Canada are very cool and peace loving people.
Here are some quotes I found on the web about Canada-
- In a world darkened by ethnic conflicts that tear nations apart, Canada stands as a model of how people of different cultures can live and work together in peace, prosperity, and mutual respect. –Bill Clinton
- When I’m in Canada, I feel this is what the world should be like. –Jane Fonda
- Canada is one of the planet’s most comfortable, and caring, societies. The United Nations Human Development Index cited the country as the most desirable place in the world to live. This year a World Bank study named Canada the globe’s second wealthiest society after Australia. –Time magazine
- am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind. –John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960)
- There are no limits to the majestic future which lies before the mighty expanse of Canada with its virile, aspiring, cultured, and generous-hearted people. –Winston Churchill
Vive la Canada. Happy Canada Day to all!
Leave a Reply